The P3 SwimSafer Programme is a highlight of our school’s Primary 3 Physical Education curriculum experience. Through SwimSafer, students will develop water confidence, understand the principles of water safety, and learn techniques to prevent drowning. In addition, SwimSafer builds our students’ physical and mental robustness and cultivates determination and resilience.
We have specially arranged for the P3 SwimSafer Programme to be conducted throughout the whole of Term 3 during curriculum time. This will enable all P3 students to benefit from the swimming programme. The programme is broken down to six different stages and due to this, the school has ensured that the programme will also cater to the various entry levels of individual students. Below is some information of the different stages that our students may go through.
|SWIMSAFER STAGE 1
|Introduction to Water Skills
|• The objective is develop confidence and independence in the water, learn general and deep-end water safety.
• Techniques taught include the forward and backward movements, safe entry and exit, and personal water safety.
|SWIMSAFER STAGE 2
|Fundamental Water Skills
|• General skill development including unassisted step entry into water, sculling, feet first surface dives, personal water safety skills as well as water safety in aquatic environments.
• Goal is to achieve 25 metres of continuous swimming.
|SWIMSAFER STAGE 3
|Personal & Stroke Development Skills
|• Principles of personal survival as well as basic rescue skills are taught. Skills include sculling, underwater skills and the use of personal flotation device.
• Goal is to achieve 50m of continuous swimming.
|SWIMSAFER STAGE 4 (Bronze)
|Personal Survival & Stroke Improvement Skills
|• Development of child’s stroke techniques is a focus here, along with coordinated breathing in deep water while swimming 100 metres.
• Principles of watercraft safety will be introduced as well as continual work on rescue and personal survival skills.
|SWIMSAFER STAGE 5 (Silver)
|Intermediate Personal Survival & Stroke Refinement Skills
|• Fundamentals of diving will be introduced.
• Development of rescue skills and personal survival knowledge will also continue at more advanced levels.• Children will be required to demonstrate efficient stroke techniques to complete stage 5.
|SWIMSAFER STAGE 6 (Gold)
|Advance Personal Survival & Swimming Skill Proficiency
|• Children will be required to perform strokes with greater ease, efficiency, power and smoothness over 400 metres.
• Rescue skills and water safety knowledge will focus on lifesaving readiness. Standing dive and personal safety skills will continue to be taught.